On International Women’s Day, 08 March 2018, Mahila Swashtkti Mela (women empowerment fair) was organised by Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM). The fair was attended by about 20,000 women. It was marked to recognise the strength of women and their role in sanitation. Almost 50 women across the country were awarded for their contribution in making sanitation sustainable through innovative techniques. WaterAid India participated in the event by putting up stalls that comprised live demonstration of IEC activities.
The following activities were organised:
- Triggering Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) and morning follow up to ensure no one defecates in the open.
- Toilet design – twin pit toilets, and inclusive toilets for persons with disability.
- Hand washing steps and practices.
- Menstrual Hygiene Management demonstration.
- Solid Liquid Waste Management product demonstration.
The IEC stall was inaugurated by the Secretary of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS), Mr. Parameshwaran Iyer. He visited each stall to understand the activities and appreciated the efforts.